I’ve lived on and off in Boston for 29 years. I never saw more force of support for the place (ie. feet on the street) than I did yesterday. The warm spring sun collided happily with a human need to express togetherness after the Boston Marathon tragedy.
If you find yourself in Boston…run–do not walk–to check it out. Here are the basic facts:
- Ambitious. 19 benches that are the result of a global design competition
- Easy to check out. The benches are close together, in the hip and happening Fort Point Channel area (short walk from the South Station Amtrak/MBTA station)
- Inspiring. Each bench has a kiosk that shows the Maker and their process
- Interactive. Each kiosk has a QR code with a cool feature that lets you manipulate the lighting of that particular bench from the comfort of your own home. I saw something like this (sky writing) at a Dublin event many years ago…it is still a really fresh idea.
- Accessible. Street Seats will be installed until October 2013. Plenty of time to get there!