On an otherwise unremarkable January morning, the US Government recently made my day. Specifically, a public servant named David J. Kappos. He’s Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office. His organization surprised me with the unexpected delivery of a very official-looking Trademark certificate for:
We had applied for this a year ago, but hadn’t heard any updates in months. The trademark just showed up. Shiny gold seal and all.
I’m delighted for Daily Grommet to be the cheerleader and guiding hand for Citizen Commerce. It’s a movement that represents the following thoughts:
- Individual people have great power to shape the world we live in, through the most ordinary of behaviors: sharing, writing, talking, buying.
- We control 65% of the US economy via these actions.
- Every decision to buy (or not buy) a product or service is a “vote” for something. A vote for a company and people who do business in a way that supports your values
- Because the tools to create products are so much more accessible than ever, there is a new Industrial Revolution happening all around us. Big companies with scale no longer control the tools of production and distribution.
- With social media sharing tools, technologies, and behaviors (and the engagement of highly accessible video) we can finally have the information to act on our values.
- We can efficiently organize to support (or expose) companies, people, and products that deserve our time, attention, money and resources
THOSE are the reasons I’m grinning ear to ear holding the Trademark certificate. Let the Revolution begin.