A central reason for doing Daily Grommet is to help the “good guys” win. Our vision has always included helping the Grommets to really get lift-off–because of the power of our community and story distribution. We really do believe we can harness Oprah-like power and reach, some day. We’re on our way. Here’s a roundup of some of the big events happening for Grommets and their hard-working creators, all of which happened as a direct result of their Daily Grommet feature:
- Laundry Tree SoapNuts. Contacted to be included in a celebrity swag bag at one of the big Oscars parties.
- Pacific Shaving, Maine Flame, Jill-able Vases, Pearl’s Premium Lawn Seed, Food Should Taste Good, Living Proof Innovative Hair Styling Products , True Body all caught the eye of various QVC reps who asked us to make the connection to these companies.
- Times Square Mirror. Featured in an iVillage Back to School roundup article.
- Jillable Vases secured two new wholesale accounts.
- Pacific Shaving attracted the interest of an investor. (I wrote about this before.)
- Argand Cooperative was asked to be part of a celebrity gift bag for the Emmy’s
- Food Should Taste Good added over 400 new people to their fan club.
- Twist Cleaning Products will be given out at a large conference to all the attendees. (I wrote about this before.)
- Jillable Vases was featured in the Christian Science Monitor Sunday magazine, print and online.
- Blush Topless Undershirts attracted a TJX Corp buyer’s attention.
These are just the events of which we are aware (and I can specifically recall as I write this post.) We really don’t hear about many huge outcomes until long after their happening.
Beyond these events, we also do a lot of ongoing promotion of Grommets via our partnerships with large publishers like Yahoo! Shine. You can see how we work with them here. It would be really hard for an individual Grommet supplier to get their story told on Yahoo! Shine, so our relationship with the site is very powerful for building awareness of various Grommets. We’ve had dozens of them already featured there, and on other influential sites like Divine Caroline.
We keep re-surfacing the Grommet stories to new audiences, every day. With some upcoming site redesign we will also be able to do that more effectively on our own site.
All of these special events make me really happy. I want to see these inventive but lesser-known companies succeed. And I deeply appreciate the support that everyone in the Grommet community lends by spreading the word. It sounds vaguely Socialist to say so, but I really do think we can put the power to decide which products succeed in the hands of “the people.” You. Me. Us.
One week later update: Both Living Proof and Pearl’s Premium were featured on “Chronicle”, a well-beloved New England news program. They found Pearl’s while researching another show, but I am pretty sure we tipped them off about Living Proof. (I only wish they would have let people know about Daily Grommet….next time. We could get them a great story every week!)